The roots of Sheffield Baptist Church run deep.
In 1848 Baptist meetings in the city lead to the establishment of a new Baptist Church on Cornwallis St. By 1866 the congregation had grown and the new North Baptist Church on Gottingen at Falkland St. in the city's North end was built; then in 1874, under North Baptist's Pastor the Rev. James Avery, a second work, Tabernacle Baptist Church was planted on Brunswick St, Both churches grew and prospered but were seriously damaged in the 1917 Halifax Explosion, and worshiped together as the shattered city recovered. With the building of a new church on Robie Street in the 1920's, these two families reunited as Central Baptist Church.
For more than 30 years, under Pastor Dr. A. R. Wilson Murray and later Rev. Dr. Ralph Hobson Central's witness including regular radio sermons and newspaper features, saw the church grow into the foremost independent voice for the Gospel in the city and for many years Central's vestry hosted the Halifax Chinese Christian Church, which now thrives in Halifax's South End.
Under the leadership of Rev. Lawrence Meade, the aging Robie Street property was sold in 1983 and a lot purchased on Lincoln Cross Dr. in the new Sheffield neighbourhood of Clayton Park and Mrs. Rita Mitchell turned the first sod on September 8, 1985. While land was being cleared and a new building constructed, services continued Sunday mornings at Duc D'Anville School and evenings at Fairview United Church.
Chaplestone Construction worked over the winter and a special week of services, featuring London, Ontario Evangelist Dr. Barry Moore began May 10, 1986 to open the new church building. Sheffield Baptist was dedicated to the Glory of God the following Sunday.
Pastor Meade served the Lord, at Sheffield until May 2001, assisted by Assoc. Pastors Scott Boger, Richard Walton and Preston Mowry. Pastor Brent Carter was called to lead the Sheffield family, serving until 2005. In September of 2007 Rev. Henry Grift and his wife Debbie came to shepherd the flock and remained with us until 2012 when our dear friends Pastor Ches and Darlene McKenzie returned, and in November of 2013 Sheffield welcomed the Rev. Dr. John and Patti Donkin. Early in 2017 Pastor Donkin retired from the ministry and the MacKenzies returned again as our Interim Pastor. In mid-September 2017 we welcomed Rev. Matthew Porter and family to Sheffield.
Whether in good times or dark days Sheffield and it's forbearers have always stood as a beacon for the Gospel and light of God’s Holy Word in our neighbourhood, our city and our world and we trust He, and you, still finds us faithful to that Great Commission. Praise be to God!